epc certificates Newry
Newry is the fourth largest City in Northern Ireland. Like Lisburn it was only granted City status in 2002 as part of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Celebrations. The name of the City comes from the Irish Iúr Chinn Trá which means “the yew at the head of the strand” which refers to an ancient myth that in the 5th Century, Saint Patrick planted a Yew tree on what is today the site of Newry.
There is evidence for continual human habitation of Newry since the 6th Century, but Newry remained little more than a small medieval town until 1142 when the town was expanded by the addition of a large Cistercian Monastery. This monastery was later converted to a collegiate church in 1543, before being surrendered to the crown in 1548.
A Trade Centre
The first summit level canal in the British Isles was built in the city, this was completed in 1742. This stimulated the flow of trade goods (mostly brown linen, butter and linen) and led to a period of prosperity which in turn funded the construction of the many fine buildings and public places that can still be seen today.
Buildings of Newry
St Mary’s church dates from 1819 and has a tower and spire 150 feet in height. The Cathedral in Hill Street is a handsome perpendicular style building. The imposing Town Hall constructed in 1893 is unusual in that it was built on a three-arched bridge astride the Clanrye River. The reason was reputedly to settle the rivalry between the people of Armagh and Down as to which County the Town Hall should be sited (the river is the county border). Nearby there are the fame Portal Tombs, a collection of Neolithic tombs with capstones believed to be the biggest in Ireland.
Not far away is the Model Village Bessbrook built by John Richardson, a Quaker Linen manufacturer, for his workers. Its founder believed that alcohol was the main cause of poverty and crime and decided that Bessbrook had no need for licensed premises, a pawn ship or a police station. Bessbrook is also home to Derrymore House, a National Trust property, set in over 100 acres of beautiful parkland and woodland. The house is an elegant 18th Century thatched cottage, which was built as a country retreat by Sir Isaac Corry who was a local MP and prominent lawyer.
Energy Performance Certificates
According to new government regulations any property for sale or to let in Newry will require an Energy Performance Certificate EPC. This certificate shows the potential buyer or tenant the energy rating of the property, the annual fuel costs and a list of recommended improvements that save energy costs and reduce CO2 emissions. Epc4less is an established supplier of EPCs for homeowners and landlords and operate in Newry and throughout Northern Ireland. Their current offers can be found at www.epc4less.com