You can start by doing what is easy, cheap and with a great impact on the EPC rating. Here are some suggestions:
- If your property has a hot water tank (hotpress) make sure that the tank is properly insulated. You can get insulation for a hot water tank from a DIY store. This may up your EPC rating by 3-4 points.
- If the hot water tank has no thermostat attached to it then make sure you fit one. This may up your EPC rating by 4-5 points.
- Ensure that all your fixed lighting outlets are fitted with low energy bulbs.
- If your property has a loft then ensure that it is insulated. You can buy insulation from a DIY store and apply it in between the joists or rafters. A good thickness is 300mm of fiber insulation.
- Ensure that your heating is controlled by a programmer and a wall thermostat.
The above improvements are relatively low in cost and may have a high impact on the EPC rating of your house.
You can order your EPC here by searching your city or town below.